Wednesday, February 16, 2011

They say the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

I think the same applies to women, or at least to me! When we first started dating, I was an RA in the dorm at UT Martin. On my "duty" nights, Jimmy would often bring me dinner cooked in his illegal toaster oven. What can I say, chicken wrapped in bacon, some rice-a-roni and a can of mixed vegetables is pretty good when you've got a night of noise complaints and checking fire extinguishers ahead of you. One day, I will post his super easy chicken recipe, but in the mean time, here's what I prepared for our Valentine's dinner.

Main Course:
I made the stuffed shells recipe Emily posted in response to my "go to" meal post. I dropped the bowl I had thawed the spinach in, thus ruining the spinach and breaking a bowl I really thought was unbreakable. So, no spinach, but they were still delicious without it. Will DEFINITELY try again and maybe next time all of my dishes will survive.

For a side item, I bought frozen asparagus for the first time ever. We love fresh asparagus, but it was almost $5 a pound and looked AWFUL! I put aluminum foil on a baking sheet, divided the asparagus into 3 bundles, tied each one together with a piece of bacon, salted and peppered them to taste and baked at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. YUM YUM! I think it was even better leftover the next day.

Garlic cheese bread was pretty simple...just bought Italian bread in Kroger's bakery, sliced it about an inch think and topped it with butter, garlic and parmesan cheese.

Dessert
Hershey Bar Pie
2 (4.4 oz) Hershey bars
small container of whipped topping, thawed
graham cracker pie crust

Melt Hershey bars. Stir in whipped topping until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

Nothing fancy, but it was all very good.

Your job is to share what you cooked for your sweetheart this year. (We don't want to hear it if he took you out...share another recipe and make us feel better about slaving over a hot stove on V-Day!)

3 comments:

  1. Mix the cream cheese with the oreos (should look like mud pie :))
    Roll the mixture into little balls and dunk into the chocolate.
    Put onto a sheet pan with wax paper and add toppings (if wanted)
    Throw it in the Fridge for the chocolate to harden and Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man- It didn't post my ingredients.

    Oreos (about 2 rows)
    1 block of cream cheese (softened)
    Melted chocolate (any kind will do, but I prefer milk chocolate)
    Toppings (nuts, sprinkles, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the name is "OREO TRUFFLES" I'm a mess on this tonight!

    ReplyDelete