Thursday, February 10, 2011

Help is on the way...I hope!

So, you know you have finally arrived at adulthood when you spend your snow days chatting with your girlfriends about the price of daycare and that dreaded question, "What's for dinner?" Menu planning seems to be a common problem, at least among my friends. It's the same ol' thing over and over and over. You know what I am talking about...those same five meals you cook week after week after week. No one in your family gets excited about them, but as my dad would say, they "fill an empty spot" and you don't have to think too much about them, so you continue to cook them over and over and over.

It's time for a dinner time revolution! Your "I'm so sick of this, I'd rather eat Spam!" might be my, "Wow! I never thought about that!" So, let's share recipes, menus, meal plans, etc. and see if we can't all help each other out of that dreaded dinner time rut.

My hope for this blog is for us to share recipes...some we are sick of, some we love no matter how many times we have them, some we've never tried at all. So, I will try to update regularly (who knows how often that will be...maybe once a week) and you respond accordingly. So...let's get started...first task...share the recipe/meal that you make so often you don't care if you EVER have it again! (Just respond to this post...we'll see how that works.)

Here's mine:

Cubed Steak

3 cube steaks
Dales marinade
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
*you may also cook sliced onions and/mushrooms if you would like to. I usually cook those before I cook the steak and remove them from the skillet before adding the steak.

About an hour before you want to have dinner, put steaks into ziplock bag and cover with Dale's marinade. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

Mix flour and seasonings in a shallow bowl. Mix egg and milk in a separate bowl. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator. One at a time coat with the egg mixture on both sides and then with the flour mixture. Repeat. Place in a single layer in the skillet. Cook approximately 5 minutes on each side or until outside is brown and crispy and the meat is no longer pink. (I will confess that I always cut these open to be sure!) On a good day, I can pull off a pretty decent gravy by removing the cooked steaks and then browning about 3 tablespoons of flour in the skillet and then slowly adding about 3/4 of a cup of water. I make no guarantees on that one.

Cubed steak is very inexpensive and most people like it. It is a good meal...the first 200,000 times you eat it!

Now, it's your turn!

15 comments:

  1. Stuffed Shells (or Manicotti)

    16 oz Ricotta Cheese
    1 cup grated Mozzerella
    1/2 cup Parmesean cheese
    2 beaten eggs
    Jumbo shells or Manicotti noodles
    Whatever Maranara sauce you prefer
    Spinach is optional(I thaw out frozen)

    *Preheat oven at 350
    1. Boil shells
    2. Mix Ricotta and eggs (It's really good with Spinach mixed in, too)
    3. Stuff cheese mixture into the shells.
    4. Arrange in 13x9 baking pan
    5. Pour desired amount of sauce over noodles.
    6. Top with mozzerella and parmesean
    7. Cover and bake for 50 mins or until hot and bubbly.
    (*for crispier noodles, uncover the last 20 mins)
    This recipe is good to freeze as well. Just make the shells and ricotta and freeze.
    Enjoy!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sorry..I meant marinara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Emily. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Pepper Chicken

    3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup Ketchup
    1 can Dr Pepper
    1 tsp garlic salt

    Cook chicken breasts in covered skillet until no longer pink. Mix ketchup and Dr Pepper until blended. Pour over chicken. Simmer on low heat until sauce becomes thicker and adheres to chicken. Serve over rice.

    This is a quick recipe that nearly everyone loves...even my picky husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum Jenny! You're speaking my language...quick, easy and Dr. Pepper! Where does the garlic salt come in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! It's added in with the Dr Pepper mixture. For some reason, I always serve this with green beans. It just seems to go together to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a plan to me and Ella. She LOVES green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe was posted on Facebook, but I thought I would share it here too...

    Patricia Ogden

    "Like Beef Stroganoff, But It's Not"

    2 Round Steaks (cut into 1 inch Cubes}
    1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup
    1 pkg Onion Soup Mix

    Do not add any water ... place all in a crockpot, mix well and cook on Low approx 6 hrs.( Each crock pot is different so cooking times may vary). Serve over egg noodles cooked in beef broth or over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the crockpot:

    Creamy Crockpot Chicken


    1 lb boneless chicken breast tenders
    1 can FF cream of Chicken soup (or you can use cream of Mushroom)
    8 oz RF cream cheese - softened
    1 packet dry Italian seasoning
    White rice or egg noodles

    Mix cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, Italian seasoning until smooth in crock pot.
    Add and combine chicken. Cook on low 4 hrs.
    Add water to thin gravy if needed. Serve chicken and creamy gravy over rice or egg noodles. We prefer the egg noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...all of these sound delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea Nikki! Looks like you have chicken and beef recipes, so thought I'd add a pork recipe to the list :) I've served this to several family members and they have all asked for the recipe...seems to be a big hit.

    Asian Pork Chops

    1 cup cherry coke (can use plain coke too)
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp thyme
    4-6 Pork Chops

    Combine coke, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and thyme. Place pork chops in a large plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Marinate the pork chops overnight or at least 3-4 hours.

    You can either grill the pork chops or bake them in the oven. If you bake them in the oven, coat baking sheet with 1 tbsp olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes. If using boneless pork chops cooking time will be less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this recipe for supper tonight. They are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nikkie - great idea! So glad you started this. Jenny - I'm going to try your Dr. Pepper Chicken tonight because we have all of those ingredients already at home. :) And I can't wait to try the stuffed shells recipe. I'll get back on tonight and add a couple of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how to spell your name, not sure how I added an "e" Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chicken Rotel:

    1 pkg chicken.
    16 oz pkg velveta (I use the 2% milk kind)
    1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
    1 can rotel
    1 pkg spaghetti

    Cube and brown the chicken, cook the spagetti, melt the velveta, then mix all ingredients together. Bake on 350 until bubbly. I've also made it with maccaroni depending on what I have at home.

    ReplyDelete